Sunday, April 20, 2014

Alternative Transportation

It’s clear that climate change is one of the greatest problems of our generations. We need to make every effort to change our habits and lower or impact on the environment. I think that one of the most important ways in which we can do this is by adapting the transportation sector. I’ve developed a huge interest in the transportation sector over the past few months and I would love to be able to influence a change in that sector.

Driving gas cars is not sustainable. We have become so accustom to driving cars wherever we need to go; but we cannot continue to do this. It’s clear that we need to begin to transition ourselves to a more sustainable form of transportation. Luckily there are more sustainable options. Public transpiration is a great alternative to driving because this significantly lowers your emissions. Biking is another great alternative to driving a gas car. Pairing the two together is a great option if you don’t live close enough to bike to work or school. Electric vehicles are becoming another great option- and more and more charging stations are being built around the country to accommodate the new technology.

I want to find a way to promote the idea that driving cars cannot be sustained the way we do it today. I’ve been commuting by bike, and I want to make this known to people. I want people to know why I’ve chosen an alternative form of transportation. I was thinking about starting a blog about my experiences of commuting by bike, and the problems that I encounter with the lack of biking infrastructure in place in the United States. I would want to compare it to my experiences of living in Copenhagen and the biking infrastructure that I found when I was living over there. It was incredibly easy to bike around the city in Copenhagen.

I would love to be able to use the various marketing techniques that we’ve learned in class to reach out to people and inform them of the importance of alternative forms of transportation. No one has to switch over immediately, but people need to be more open to the idea. Marketing the ideas successfully can make all the difference. It could help put in place the proper biking infrastructure in cities so the alternative transportation dream becomes a reality.


In Denmark, people do not rely on cars like we do. On average a family would usually only have one car to share. They would use their bikes and public transportation. We can reach this point too if we set up the right infrastructure to make this happen. It’s tough to figure out where to begin. I think that we need to start with people effectively promoting the message that alternative forms of transportation are essential. Once gas prices are high enough, people may reach a tipping point where they give up on gas cars; however I don’t think we can wait for this to happen. We need to push our message now.

No comments:

Post a Comment